2.19.2009

The life is in the blood...

I'm reading through the Bible Chronologically with my church. It's been so sweet. Right now we are in Leviticus. As strange and hard to understand as some of the ancient practices and sacrifices are, I'm so amazed to see so many pictures of Jesus foreshadowed in the Old Testament.

Check this out:

Leviticus 17:11
"For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you on the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood by reason of the life that makes atonement..."

Ephesians 5:1-2
"Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma."

Leviticus 17:14
"For as for the life of all flesh, its blood is identified with its life... the life of all flesh is its blood..."

I like this verse especially... we sing about it, we pray it, but it is so cool, to me at least, to see it in scripture and understand it better. Before Jesus, my life was identified with my fleshly works and that was only going to lead to destruction and eternal separation from God. But when I accepted the sacrifice of Jesus on my behalf, my life became identified with HIS blood. His atonement on my behalf transfers me from the bondage of my flesh into His glorious kingdom. Wow.

1 John 1:7
"but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin."

... pour the blood of Jesus over me...

1 comment:

What do you have to say about my world?