2.02.2009

Abide...

I have been pondering what it really means to Abide in the Lord lately. John 15 is a humbling and encouraging passage.

John 15:5
"I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing."

I could talk a lot about what it means to abide and all that is wrapped up in that, but recently God showed me a neat picture of what the outcome of of Abiding looks like... the fruit part. 

I was thinking about what it meant to produce good fruit. Galatians 5:22-23 talks about what the fruits of the spirit are (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control)... however, I was also thinking about fruit literally.

A tree, that is properly watered, with good solid roots is going to produce healthy fruits. Not only is the fruit a sign of a healthy tree, but the fruit has a purpose.
  1. To provide nourishment to those who would partake of it  
  2. To plant seeds so that other trees can grow 
How cool is that, when you look at how your life should be in accordance with the Word of God!
A healthy Christian life, that is Abiding in Jesus, should produce fruit that blesses others but also plants seeds and is part of nourishing new believers!

Jesus talking: 
"My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples. Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love." 
John 15:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about my world?